Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Salem Falls


Oh, Jodi. I can't seem to get enough of Jodi Picoult's books. They draw me in and won't let me go until I finish them and find out what really happened. This book - Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult is a classic example.

Jack St. Bride has been framed. That much is clear. Or is it? Something has happened in his past that isn't made clear from the beginning. As he puts his life back together, and settles in Salem Falls, New Hampshire, he stands out as the handsome stranger who currently works at the local diner. He finds himself falling in love with the owner of the diner - Addie, who has a fuzzy background as well. As their relationship takes a giant step forward, so does Jack's past.

Jack was accused of raping a teenage girl in his past life. He claims to have been framed by the girl, but finds it difficult to support this argument when a girl in Salem Falls - Gillian - makes the exact same claim. Its like a reoccurring nightmare for Jack, who has now been labeled once again and is at a standstill in his relationship with Addie.

One of the things that I enjoy so much about Jodi's books is that she constantly keeps you guessing. Just when you think you know what must have happened, or how it must surely end - BAM! She switches everything up, and a plot that you never could have dreamed of appears. Additionally, you don't have the luxury of knowing all of the facts up front. Its great.

If you're new to Jodi Picoult's writing, give it a try. If you are a long-time fan, make sure you visit this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jess,
Personally, I'm glad to see you back on-line and I love knowing what you are reading. When someone recommends a book to me I tell them, "I'll read it in June 2009!" Incidently, only 161 more days until graduation, but you'll be long gone by then.
Take special care and I'll see you in January.
Love to you and to Justin,
Lori